Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Counting Coins

Happy Fall all! I don't know about you, but this is one of my favorite times of year. Students start to settle into class routines and the weather cools off. It's also time for one of my favorite units in math, teaching money!
Are you looking for some new resources to add to your teacher toolbox for money? Here are some amazing activities that are guaranteed to keep your kids engaged while learning about money. Lots of pictures and links are coming your way!
You can easily integrate some ELA with counting coins with picture books. One of my favorites is The Coin Counting Book. This picture book uses pictures instead of illustrations and easy rhymes to help students count the value of coins.
Click on the book cover or here to get your own copy. 
Another great picture book to use is A Dollar, a Penny, How Much and How Many? 
This book teaches readers how to count combinations of coins and bills. My students love the illustrations and silly rhymes! Click the book cover or here to buy your own copy. 
When I first introduce coins, I like to use an anchor chart with an easy to remember poem. 
I used large cut outs to show what the front and back of each coin looks like. Notice the curlicues on top of each coin? My team uses "hairy coins" to teach students how to count coin values. Each curlicue or "hair" stands for five. The kids always giggle when they discover the penny is bald because it's only worth one cent. 
I have a FREE set of posters including this poem in my TpT store
If you can't find a set of coin cut outs at your local teacher store, you can pick some up on Amazon.
While teaching students how to count money, I think it's important for us teachers to show them a variety of ways money can be seen and read. Students don't need to know just the value of coins, they need to be able to compare them as well as practice with them in word problem settings. During math stations this week we began using my Coins Task Cards.
I break up the three sets of task cards based on the ability and needs of my students. One group works with me in small group to continue mastery of basic coin counting.
Another group works on comparing the value of sets of coins.
A third group of students works on coin word problems. 
You can take a closer look at this resource in my TpT store.
Looking to integrate technology for your money unit? Counting Money is a free iPad app my kids can't get enough of! 
You set the app to practice or quiz mode and select the level of difficulty. 



This app is perfect for practice of coin combinations to equal the same value. 
Another great free app is Count Money!
This app is similar with the added feature to let students check their answer. 
For students who need more hands on practice, I use Counting Coins Two Ways. 
Do you students love challenges? Mine do, especially when I show my excitement about them. 
 QR Code Coin Challenge combines brain power and technology! 

To complete the challenges, students can only use a certain number of coins to show amount of money. 


Students can use manipulatives or draw on the cards to show their work. Students get instant feedback by scanning the QR code. 
What are some of your favorite resources for teaching money? Leave a comment below! 

1 comment: