Monday, November 25, 2013

Grandparent's Day

The temperature has dropped too much for this southern girl! I'm thankful we had a good amount of grandparents come to our classroom today despite the cold. Grandparents visit classrooms for 90 minutes, and the time always flies.

I always like having a special area for visitors to sign in when visiting the classroom.


After morning announcements and introductions were made by grandparents, I read I Already Know I Love You by Billy Crystal. It's a sweet story filled with the hopes and dreams a grandparent has for his first grandchild. I love watching the faces of grandparents in the room light up as the story is read. This book would be a welcome addition to any classroom library.



After our read aloud grandparents became guest teachers. Each group worked on a Thanksgiving activity. All you need are grocery store ads, paper plates, and construction paper. Sadly I couldn't find a digital copy of where the poem comes from. My grade level has been using this since I started teaching. I'm sure you could easily create something similar for your class.




It's always amusing to see how different each poem turns out to be. Most students will start with sweet treats and soda lol. Just half of Tuesday to go and I'll officially be on Thanksgiving break, hooray! My warm bed and socks are calling my name!




No comments:

Post a Comment